How to easily convert .ts files to Mpeg2 or DVD

/, Linux/How to easily convert .ts files to Mpeg2 or DVD

How to easily convert .ts files to Mpeg2 or DVD

So you finally got the recording features to work on your DreamBox, but you want more? 🙂
If you only want to view the MPEG livestream file (.ts) then use VLC player, which is the best player around.

But if you want to convert the .ts file to eg. Mpeg 2, or MPA/MPV format for later creation of DVD discs, read the following guides.

Guide 1 – Convert to .ts to Mpeg 2
Guide 2 – Convert from .ts to DVD

Guide 1 – Convert to .ts to Mpeg 2

• First you the download PVAStrumento at http://www.offeryn.de. This guide uses version 2.1.0.14.
  • Next start PVAStrumento’s GUI version and chooce your .ts file. (get your .ts files from the DreamBox with eg. FTP
    you will get alot of info about the file in the right text box.
  • Press “make ps”.

Make Mpeg

• First choose the location and filename of the Mpeg 2 file you want to create.
  • Be sure to click on 2048 Bytes, to make a PC (and DVD) playable mpeg-file.
  • Press on the “Split” tab.

• This parts is quite optional. If the target system is a Windows XP/2000 system, then choose “Do not split”.
  • If you want to playback the file on a Linux system, choose 2 GB.
  • Next press on the “Video” tab.

• Just use the default settings.
  • Next press on the “Audio” tab.

• Just use the default settings.
  • Next press on the “Prio” tab.

• If your want to complete the convertion in a hurry, chooce “HIGHEST” here. (Best thing to do,
    and then don’t use your computer during the processing)
  • Next press on the “Expert” tab.

• Again just use the default setting.
  • Next press on the “start” tab. And the Mpeg 2 file is created!

Guide 2 – Convert from .ts to DVD

• Start PVAStrumento’s GUI version and chooce your .ts file.
  • Press “info” to confirm that PVAStrumento is able to read the stream, if successfull you will get
    alot of info about the file in the right text box.(eg. to verify that the stream if DVD compliant)
  • Press “demux”.

• First choose the location and filename of the mpv/mpa file you want to create.
  • Remove the “Add audio DELAY….” flag. (You don’t need that)
  • Press on the “Split” tab.

• You want to create DVD’s with appr. 4 Gb each, so write 4000 mb in the “user defined” field. Click “Split (almost) evenly”.
  • Press on the “Video” tab.

• Use the default setting.
  • Press on the “Audio” tab.

• Use the default setting.
  • Press on the “Prio” tab.

and then don’t use your computer during the processing.)
  • Next press on the “Expert” tab.

• Again just use the default setting.
  • Press on the “start” tab. And the files are generated on the choosen location.
By |2018-01-06T01:52:20+00:00June 4th, 2009|Dreambox, Linux|28 Comments

28 Comments

1. Ali Zizo June 23, 2009 at 06:15:27

I have a Hitech XPS DVB PVR receiver and I have been so busy in the last week trying to figure out how to convert my .ts recordings to DVD discs. Thank you very much! I hope this works.

2. Jonas June 29, 2009 at 06:31:01

Awsome! I must have tried at least 10 different converters to get ts-files from my Hauppauge TV-card into mpg-files that my Video-editing software can handle. None even came close to the quality PVAStrument did. Not to mention how fast and easy it was. Could never have done it without your easy to follow manual. Thanks!

3. AVforum.no - Overf July 31, 2009 at 08:54:53

[…] er mange m

4. steve September 19, 2009 at 09:29:14

Thanks, this .ts file has been crashing VLC and your article helped point the way to a solution.

5. Jumper October 16, 2009 at 10:56:08

how long is this supposed to take? i see no progress bar and it just stands still with no change, except for the working indication thingy…..it does not seem fast or easy…..

6. Renzo October 17, 2009 at 12:01:02

Hm, its seems to me that maybe your installation and/or your files is broken. Are you trying to build a DVD mpeg?

7. forallmath October 17, 2009 at 01:13:50

thanks. it is really good

8. Jumper October 17, 2009 at 09:54:37

tried both of the guides above, and none worked apparently. checked the file, and it works in vlc…I just extracted the zipfile, and opened it…there was never any installation, just opened directly…

9. Renzo October 19, 2009 at 10:10:34

Try to screen record a video of want you do, upload it to youtube and send me the link, then i’ll try to see what is wrong. I suspect the .ts file i somewhat broken, and VLC just “ignores” the errors.

10. PABben October 21, 2009 at 03:36:03

Good quality and alot faster than other encoders, but as always the sound does’nt sync with the picture…

11. fraydoon November 15, 2009 at 08:35:52

thanks but i have a question when i convert the .ts files it makes a echo on the music????

12. fraydoon November 15, 2009 at 08:45:41

i am with PABben he is right my problem is also that

13. Renzo November 15, 2009 at 10:32:05

Is it a HD .ts file?

14. Rock November 25, 2009 at 09:50:20

I am using the Humax Foxsat HDR and am able to get the .ts file off onto my USB stick, then using the above procedure convert to mpg2 or dvd. I would also like to do the reverse, ie convert an mpg2 or other video format to the correct .ts format, transfer it via usb to the Foxsat’s HD, then play it and watch on my large screen TV. Is there anyway to achieve this reverse process?

15. Rock November 25, 2009 at 09:57:15

Just to add, when I record a program and then transfer it to USB, I actually get three files. Here is what I got when I recorded a recent episode of Merlin, then copied Merlin to my USB stick:

Merlin_20091121_1803.ts
    Merlin_20091121_1803.nts
    Merlin_20091121_1803.hmt

I am guessing that I would need all three files in the reverse process?

Rock

16. Francis December 7, 2009 at 12:37:53

Hi. I’m trying to convert .ts files transferred from my Humax DuoVisio. Used Gui version which seemed to install OK. Pressed “start” and it very quickly made a conversion but only of the first 30 secs or so and there was no audio. What am I doing wrong?

17. pg December 19, 2009 at 09:23:19

your instructions were correct but the results were not. had missing frames and freezing. compressed 850Mb to 125Mb, took 30mins. here’s what I suggest, use explorer to rename the file to something easy like “123” this will become oldfilename.ts.001 > 123.ts.001
    Now, open an old dos cmd window (start>run>cmd) then cd to directory where your files are. now, use “rename 123.ts.001 123.ts” hopefully you’ll get the same results I did which worked. My guess is that once the 1024 Mb file limit is reached the next file is spanned, hence the .001 extension. good luck. I really miss the punch card days.

18. Sdaslt December 23, 2009 at 11:46:05

Thank you ever so much for indicating the PVA strumento. Very nice program, light and efficient. It transformed my TS file quickly. Funny but the source TS file after converting the target file opens in VLC which used to crash. Does this proram fit for Linux? How do I join two parts of a film onto one? Thanks a lot for your time

SdaSlt – Italy

19. Renzo December 26, 2009 at 09:09:48

Rock: No, sorry. None that i am aware of. But surely there is tools out there that can help. If you want – i can make a guide for that?

20. Renzo December 26, 2009 at 09:14:57

Sdsalt: No, its for windows only. But google about ffmpeg/mplayer on Linux. Its possible to merge two .ts files, but make sure that your OS supports >2GB files.

21. Renzo December 26, 2009 at 09:16:04

Rock: (post #14): Only the .ts file. The rest is your recorder’s info files (date, program data etc.)

22. ash December 30, 2009 at 07:50:48

hi i have a technomate reciver and when i record with usb i get 2 files one idx and secend one ts file , how can i convert it to avi or any other format to watch???? please help…

23. Erik February 7, 2010 at 12:09:06

Hi,

The conversion process fails and generates the following log. Do you know what is the problem?

VIDEO #1, PID 0x17ec
    ALERT> No sequence header found for info.
    AC3 AUDIO #1, PID 0x7b
    Format: 2/0
    Sampled at 48.0 kHz.
    First PTS: 16:56:00.776

PIDs in TS
    PAT: found
    TSID: 0x1b
    PMTID: 0x78
    VPID: 0x17ec
    APID[1]: 0x7a
    DPID[1]: 0x7b
    TXTID: 0x86

** these pids were found but it doesnot denote
    ** that all content are really available!

Input: C:\Users\Erik\Documents\MijnFilesErik\Mijn video’s\Tegenlicht_ 2010_ Buigen of barsten (VPR_20100125_2052.ts
    Options
    .. fixing startup delay.
    .. fixing stream synch.
    .. keeping track of audio offset accumulation.
    .. strict checking of audio framing.
    .. falling back to relaxed semantics on TS
    .. dropping GOPs longer than 980 KB
    .. splitting on change of video format.
    .. splitting on change of audio format.
    .. splitting on number of audio tracks.
    .. do not use AC3 substream header (VDR)
    .. write AC3 substream header
    .. clearing CDF
    .. creating new GOP timecodes.

ALERT> Cannot sync. Not enough data.
    Last fileset:
    0 total bytes written

Sync estimate at EOF:
    MPEG Audio #1 : sync
    AC3 Audio #1 : sync

Needed time for the job (hh.mm.ss)

(Autosaving log to C:\Users\Erik\Documents\MijnFilesErik\Mijn video’s\Tegenlicht_ 2010_ Buigen of barsten (VPR_20100125_2052.mpg.txt)

24. Az February 25, 2010 at 05:23:52

What is the best way to use this software to make dvds from HD .ts files, which are generally much bigger in size than the capacity of a dvd. In particular, should the files be split maintaining a high bitrate or is there a way of reducing the bit rate to fit the the entire file to a dvd.

25. Andrew March 5, 2010 at 10:11:56

Great tip but I’m sorry to say I get no audio playback my version of PVAStrumento is 2.1.0.22 could you please help?

26. Ylro April 9, 2010 at 02:50:45

Thank you for your wonderfull tutorial. Please, I need more information about how to cut and edit the video with this software.

27. mazel May 13, 2010 at 02:18:01